It is no secret that divorce can be an emotional process. Even when the situation appears to be amicable, tempers can run high and the stress of it can put both parties over the edge and cause them to react. However, it is important to remember that your actions have consequences, so you should never act out impulsively due to your emotions or the results could cost you and impact the outcome of your divorce.
Here are some crucial divorce do’s and don’ts that you should keep in mind as you navigate your way through this experience:
- DO: Regardless of whatever resentment you might harbor, it is crucial to be cooperative and reasonable when dealing with your soon-to-be ex-spouse. The more open you are to compromise, the sooner you will be able to reach a resolution, which will also save you money.
- DO: Be supportive of your children during this time. If you think this divorce is tough on you, it is even harder for them, so do not make it worse by making them feel like they have to choose sides.
- DO: Make sure you fully disclose your assets and property. The court can throw out your divorce decree if it turns out you were guilty of financial deception.
- DO: If you have questions or if anything about your divorce is unclear, ask your attorney for answers or clarification.
- DON’T: It is easy to lose your cool and lash out, but this is absolutely something you should never do, no matter how hard it is. You do not want to make a bad situation worse.
- DON’T: You might be eager to start your new life, but if you start making big plans that take you out of the state or country, this could interfere with your ability to get your divorce finalized.
- DON’T: You should never violate any temporary custody or visitation orders that are in place while you are working on permanent arrangements. You could jeopardize your chances at custody.
- DON’T: Divorce is a complicated process, so do not attempt to go through it alone. Hire an experienced attorney who can ensure your interests are protected and to help you avoid making any unnecessary mistakes.
Altamonte Springs Divorce Attorney
If you and your spouse are considering a divorce or are already in the process of dissolving your marriage, you will need a skilled divorce attorney on your side. At the Law Office of Russell S. Hershkowitz, LLC, our Altamonte Springs divorce team is well-versed in negotiating fair settlements and are fully prepared to protect your interests at trial if necessary.
Contact our office today at (407) 753-4111 to schedule a consultation.